Did you lose wages as a result of Sandy? Did your property or business sustain damage? Take a look at the below resources we have compiled where you can report damage and/or apply for assistance.
Lost Jobs and Wages (State Department of Labor) –
- If you live or work in NYC and you lost your job or income due to the effects of Hurricane Sandy, you may qualify for Disaster Unemployment Assistance (DUA). You may qualify for DUA even if you would not normally be able to get unemployment insurance benefits. To find out if you might be eligible for DUA, call the Telephone Claims Center (TCC) at 1-888-209-8124, or 1-877-358-5306 if you live out of state. Claims will be decided on a case-by-case basis. Answer the questions to indicate that you lost your job as a direct result of Hurricane Sandy. File your application with the New York State Department of Labor as soon as possible. The application deadline is December 3, 2012. For more information, visit http://www.labor.ny.gov/ui/2012-sandy-services.shtm.
FEMA Disaster Assistance –
- Apply online at DisasterAssistance.gov.
- Apply via smartphone at m.fema.gov.
- Apply by phone: (800) 621-3362 or call TTY (800) 462-7585 for people with speech or hearing disabilities. For individuals who use 711 or Video Relay service, call (800) 621-3362. The numbers mentioned are available from 7 AM to 10 PM, 7 days a week until further notice.
To find out what disaster assistance is and if you qualify, or to check the status of your application, please visit fema.gov/apply-assistance.
NYC OEM –
- To report storm damage to your commercial or residential space (habitable or inhabitable), visit NYC’s OEM Severe Weather website.
- To report tree damage:
- Call 311
- Text 311-692
- Submit an online forestry service request.
NYC Business Assistance Programs –
- New York City, including the Department of Small Business Services (SBS) and the New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC), is coordinating a set of services to assist small businesses in recovering from Hurricane Sandy. Please follow this link for further information.
- Remember that the assistance mentioned above should be in addition to your insurance claim.
- For individuals who need assistance contacting or dealing with their insurance company, you can call the New York State Department of Financial Services (formerly known as New York State Insurance Department) at (518) 474-4567 or (800) 686-1526. There is also a storm assistance number, (800) 339-1759.
- Sandy was considered a post-tropical storm, not a hurricane, so you should NOT have to pay a hurricane deductible on your insurance policy.