New York City Council Member Melissa Mark-Viverito, the co-chair of the New York City Council’s Progressive Caucus, is looking for part-time communications interns to research legislative issues, draft a wide range of written material and build upon efforts to expand the office’s utilization of social media. The ideal candidate is a self-starter with superior writing ability who likes working in a fast-paced environment and has an interest in local politics.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Drafting press releases, public statements, constituent newsletters, talking points, op-eds, letters to City agencies, email blasts, and other communications
· Maintaining Council Member Viverito’s blog as well as Facebook, Twitter and YouTube pages
· Researching upcoming legislation and policy proposals
· Keeping track of the Council Member’s appearances in the press
· Taking photographs and video at press conferences, hearings, and public events
· Other tasks as needed
· Excellent written and verbal communication abilities
· Ability to write effectively in multiple formats and for different audiences
· Ability to work well under tight deadlines
· Experience working with social media, such as blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.
· Strong presentation skills
· Some familiarity with local politics, and with issues impacting low-income communities of color
· Experience working in NYC elected offices or on political campaigns a plus
· Written and oral fluency in Spanish, Chinese, and other languages a major plus
To apply, email a brief cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line “Internship”. Please include proposed start and end dates.
Please note that this is an unpaid internship, but we are happy to work with applicants to secure academic credit for their work.